Monday, January 19, 2015

My Daily Supplements

A supplement is defined as:
· a thing added to something else in order to complete or enhance it.
· a substance taken to remedy the deficiencies in a person's diet

Supplements are not “magic pills” by any means, but when added to a proper diet and exercise program, they help to fill in the holes that even a good diet can miss – and help to give you an advantage over your health and fitness goals.



I take quite a few supplements – ranging from a general health viewpoint to bodybuilding goals to things like hair and skin health, I wanted to give you a look at what I take everyday, and what the purpose behind each supplement is.



Every morning I take 2 things – the first is Yohimbe, I take this on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, Yohimbe is shown to support fat loss, increase blood flow in the body, and support energy levels. The second thing I take is a multi-vitamin, in this case, One a Day Women’s Active Metabolism – I take this with my first meal of the day – it has an assortment of vitamins and minerals necessary for active women.



Every night I take a larger assortment of pills – I tend to take a majority of my supplements at night as it is said that by taking them at night you are giving your body a better chance to fully absorb them, I’m not sure if that’s true or not but I have stuck by it for years!

-Fish Oil is an Essential Fatty Acid (EFA) – one of the biggest benefits found in supplementing with EFA’s is heart health, but other benefits include: nervous system health, brain, eye, and joint health.

-Acidophilus is a probiotic which is ‘healthy bacteria’ found in your intestines and aids in digestion and the proper absorbtion of nutrients from the food you eat – I highly recommend this especially for those on higher protein diets, your insides will thank you!
-Calcium Magnesium & Zinc – this is a great product that gives you 3 incredible minerals together (you can buy them all separately too): Calcium promotes bone health, Magnesium aids in the contraction and relaxation of muscles, and Zinc is essential for protein and carbohydrate metabolism as well as immune system health.
-Biotin plays a key role in the growth and maintenance of hair, skin, mails, and bone tissue and also aids in the metabolism of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates.
-Osteo Bi-Flex (or any blend of glucosamine and chondroitin) is, in my opinion, essential for anyone training with weights. Weight training can take a toll on your joints and this is a great product that may help save your joints!



I need to take a second here to mention my current favorite fat burner; Commander by 1st Phorm – this is a great product if you are trying to lose some extra weight – it helps to lessen your cravings and gives great energy without feeling jittery – and there is no crash! If you have taken fat burners before, you know how bad the crash can be – I have tried a lot of different fat burners over the past few years and this one in my new favorite!



I cannot express enough the importance of a good protein supplement – these are great for when you are running a little short on your protein goals for the day, or for immediately after a workout – I will always promote whole food over protein powder, but we have to be realistic and know that sometimes all you have time for (or all you really want, for that matter) is a shake.. I can’t tell you how many times I haven’t had an appetite, but knew I needed to get more calories in – shakes are perfect for this. They are also a great option to add to a meal like oatmeal to get some extra protein. I go through phases with protein (as you can see), but everything shown is fantastic and highly recommended!



I love a good preworkout too – after working all day I don’t get a chance to workout until sometime around 6 PM, and by then I need a little extra kick to get me going – everything pictured is great (I go through a lot of these too – obviously) – and as for the caffeine pills, I will take one of these before a lift if I am out of pre-workout, or whenever I need a little oomph during the day!



That’s everything for today – a look at my pill-habit ;-)

If there is anything you guys want to hear more about please feel free to let me know, I am always up for suggestions!





No comments:

Post a Comment